“Winters is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire; it is the time for home” – Edith Sitwell
Winters is the best time to have some best delicacy. Some special winter veggies are available in India, mostly are green leafy veggies. Sarson ka saag is traditional Punjabi recipe, which is made using Mustard leaves. Sarson means mustard. Also some more leafy veggies can be added like spinach, fenugreek, bathua (chenopodium), radish or beetroot leaves.
Sarson ka saag is eaten with makki ki roti or corn bread. When added butter, it tastes heavenly. Sarson ka saag is actually a healthy dish as lot of green veggies are added in it and tastes very delicious. If you are addin only sarson/mustard leaves, your saag can be little bit bitter. But don’t worry, Saag tastes more better the day after the dish is prepared.
Lets prepare Sarson ka saag and Makki ki roti………..
- Mustard leaves- 1 bowl( washed, finely chopped)
- Spinach leaves- 1 bowl (washed, finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 , finely chopped
- Tomato- 1, finely chopped
- Ginger-garlic- 2 tbsp, chrushed
- Green chilly- 2 to 3, finely chopped
- Corn Meal- 2 tbsp
- Red chilly powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- as per your taste
- Ghee – 2 & 1/2 tbsp
For Makki ki roti (makes around 3 roti)
- Corn meal- 1 cup
- Lukewarm water- as needed
- Salt- as per your taste.
- Ghee- for roasting
- Check ingredients for making Sarson ka saag and Makki ki roti
- In a pressure cooker, add chopped Mustard leaves and spinach leaves.
- Add salt and 1 cup of water.
- Close the lid and give 1 or 2 whistles.
- Once cooled, remove the lid and turn on the gas.
- Then mix some water with cornmeal and add it.
- Let it boil for 4 to 5 mins and turn the stove off. Mash this mixture.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add crushed ginger-garlic and saute for 2 mins. Add chopped green chillies .Keep on medium flame .
- Add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and fry for 2 mins.
- Add red chilly powder.
- Add green leafy mixture and add very little salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Your Sarson ka saag is ready. Now lets prepare makki ki roti.
- In a bowl , add cornmeal meal.
- With lukewarm water, start making the dough.
- If you are making this for first time maker, you will notice that the dough is does not bind at all. So we will make this in a plastic sheet so that it will become easy for us to make roti. Knead a smooth still a stiff dough.
- Divide it into 3 to 4 equal parts. Take one ball and keep it on a plastic sheet.
- With the help of a roll-pin, flatten the ball. Make sure the roti be thick.
- On a heated pan, add ghee and gently put the roti on pan. Roast on medium flame.
- Flip the other side and drop ghee on sides of roti.
- Now shift it on chapati grill and roast the roti from both sides.
Your Sarson ka saag and makki ki roti is ready. Enjoy with friends and family.