Indian sweet Balushahi Detailed recipe. Balushahi is an Indian dessert that have an appearance like donuts. They are crispy and flaky and soft from inside. Balushahi is everyone’s favorite as they melt in the mouth.
Its made specially for Holi but you can make this on any occasion. This recipe is very simple and less time consuming. So lets prepare Balushahi
Ingredients (Makes around 14- 16 balushahis)
- All purpose flour- 3 cups
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Ghee(Clarified butter)- 1/2 cup
- Yogurt- 8 tbsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Water- 2 tbsp(for dough)
- Sugar- 2 cup
- Water- 1 cup
- Cardamom powder- 1 tsp(optional)
- Saffron strands- few(optional)
- Ghee- for frying
- Check ingredients for making Balushahi
- In a bowl, add all purpose flour, baking soda, salt and yogurt. Crumble it well.
- Add ghee.
- Crumble it well . Do not over mix it.
- Add 2 tbsp water. Gather it into a dough. Do not knead it too much otherwise. Let it set for 10 – 15 mins.
- For sugar syrup-In a saucepan, add sugar and a cup of water. Let it boil on a medium flame.
- Boil the sugar syrup until its thick. Add cardamom powder and saffron strands if you want. We don’t need 2 string consistency of syrup. It should be little thin so that the balushahis gets soaked in it very well. (Tip- add a little bit of lemon juice so the syrup will not crystallize)
- When the dough has set, make small balls of dough. Take a ball and press it in the centre so that it cooks well.
- Make this of complete dough in the same way.
- Heat ghee in a frying pan. Add ghee enough that balushahis gets dipped in it.
- Add the balushahi balls in cold ghee and fry them on a low flame to acheive a flaky balushahi.
- Balushahi will start floating over the ghee. Do not flip them.
- When the balushahi start turning golden brown, turn them.
- Fry them till they are complete golden brown.
- When done, remove them and let it cool.
- When they are cool , dip them in sugar syrup. Gently remove them from syrup.
- Garnish with some chopped pistachios
Balushahis are ready. Enjoy with your friends and family.